Enabling Hotlink Protection
Hotlink Protection prevents other websites from directly linking to files (as specified below) on your website. Other sites will still be able to link to any file type that you don't specify below (ie. html files). You can use hotlink protection to keep other sites from linking to your images, videos, and other files. If another site links directly to your images or other files, they will be using your bandwidth to display those files rather than theirs.
Here are the steps:
- To access Hotlink Protection, click on the words "Hotlink Protection" on the main screen of your cPanel interface
- Enter the names of sites that you wish to access your files in the first field which already contains the name(s) of your site(s)
- Enter the file types that you wish to let those sites access by entering their extensions in the blank field next to Extensions to allow (separate by commas)
- Enter the URL you wish to redirect links to that are not allowed in the blank field next to "URL to Redirect to"
- If you wish to allow the sites you have entered to directly request files (view images or videos by typing their URL into a browser), click on the box next to "Allow Direct Requests"
- Click on "Activate" to enable Hotlink Protection.
Troubleshooting: Make sure that you include all sites that need to access your protected files in the first bank field or they will not be able to view the files. If you still cannot view a file, try disabling Hotlink Protection to see if it is the cause of the problem.
Disabling hotlink protection
If you no longer wish to use Hotlink Protection on your site, you can disable it with the Hotlink Protection Menu.
Here are the steps:
- To access Hotlink Protection, click on the icon above the words "Hotlink Protection" on the main screen of your cPanel interface
- Scroll down to the bottom of the menu, and click on "Disable"
If successful, "Hotlink Protection Disabled!" will appear.
Troubleshooting: If you cannot view certain image files, make sure that their extensions are included in your Hotlink Protection setup.